Monday, April 14, 2008

A few "Sarah Stories"

I was on the phone the other night with Annie and she asked for any recent "Sarah Stories." Well, I was talking for a long time so I thought I'd post a few of her cute things she's done lately.
  • Sassy: About two months ago we were in church and the sacrament prayer was about to be said. I reminded Sarah that we were about to say a prayer and that she needed to fold her arms and stop talking. She folded her arms, but kept on talking quietly. I reminded her again, but she kept it up. By this time the prayer had started so I "shhhushed" her. Then she looked up at me with squinted eyes (and a little fire in them, too) and said in a loud whisper, "Don't you shush me!" It caught me so off guard I let a big smile out. I didn't know if I should laugh or punish her. But I did realize that my sweet little Sarah is beginning to get her own opinion and she's not afraid to let it out.
  • Dr. Sayah: Sarah LOVES her pediatrician, Dr. Ionas. I don't know if love is even a strong enough word for how Sarah feels about her doctor. She talks about "Dr. Onas" all the time. She gets so excited when it's time for an appointment. She even asked me if she could get a shot just so she could go to the doctor. I must admit, Dr. Ionas is the best doctor we've had. She truly cares about our children and will take time to make sure they are healthy and happy. (She even called personally with test results--and just 3 hours after the test was taken--for Grant and reassured me that everything was fine.) Sarah found some of Steve's leftover surgical gloves from anatomy class and she puts them on daily to play doctor. She puts the gloves on, feels my neck and tummy, listens to my heart with an old stethoscope and then tells me that it all "sounds really good." She likes to call herself Dr. Sayah and me Dr. Mama.
  • The cat and monkey: Sarah went through this stage of being afraid of a cat and a monkey at bedtime. Neither Steve nor I can figure out why she's afraid of these two animals, and it was beginning to be a problem. So one night we had a prayer and asked that Sarah wouldn't be afraid of the cat and monkey. The next morning I asked Sarah how her night was and she again mentioned the cat and monkey, but then followed up with "Jesus helps Sayah feel better." It hit me so hard that at just over two years she could comprehend such spiritual things. It's so amazing how she understands prayer and that she was comforted by the Spirit to not be afraid. Now whenever she acts afraid of anything she quickly reminds herself that Jesus helps her to feel better. I'm so grateful to have this little girl in my life to remind me of the simple truths of the gospel.
  • Root Beer: we were out to eat with a big group of people and the waitress was taking orders for drinks. Steve and I both asked for water and then Sarah looked right at the waitress, raised her pointer finger and said, "I'll have a root beer please." I cracked up and quickly told the waitress that she'd just have water. She is not even 2 1/2 and she thinks she's running the show! Hey, at least she knows what she wants!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Kasey! She sounds adorable...just like her mom. I would LOVE to catch up. Shoot me your email if you can. I think I only have an old one for you.

Miss talking to you! Glad things are well.

Nics

Melanie said...

So cute! So good to write this stuff down because it's so easy to forget.