Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving this year. We were planning on having Sherri & Shayne coming for the long weekend, but unfortunately Shayne's grandmother passed away the weekend before and they weren't able to make it. We did miss them immensely, but it was also really nice to spend a holiday just as our little family. It was the first time we've ever done that.

Another first for me was cooking the entire Thanksgiving Feast. I have helped with portions of the dinner, but I'd never done it all by myself. This was also my first turkey ever. I went into the whole week of Thanksgiving with the mind-set of enjoying the experience. I knew that I would just be mad if I cooked for three days straight for a 20 minute meal. So I really tried to enjoy the shopping, planning, preparing, and baking of it all. Luckily I have the best cook in the world for a sister-in-law and she held my hand through the entire process. Aside from all her delicious recipes, the best thing Amy taught me is to schedule my oven and stove space. I created a schedule for the entire Thanksgiving day and I actually stuck to it. My schedule said we were to sit down to eat at 4:00 and we actually sat down around 4:15. I even had to wake up Grant from his nap to come eat. When I brought him into the kitchen he looked at the table and said, "oooo....yummy!"

The whole spread.
Cute Sarah behind the bird...and my new Anthropologie plates
layered on my blue/white plates (it's the beginning of a whole new kitchen!)
The turkey--I soaked it in brine overnight
and it made every piece moist and delish.

The Schedule


At this time of year I can't help but think of all that I'm grateful for. At the top is always my family. I'm so grateful to have the most wonderful kids and an incredible husband. Spending this holiday just as our family was a great way to celebrate. Next, I'm really thankful for the Lord's influence in my life. I know that God lives and that he's aware of me and my concerns. Knowing that makes me feel so secure and I'm thankful for that security. It's been a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Madsen Family said...

Okay, Kase--several things. I'm totally impressed. I couldn't have done it all by myself--I can hardly do it with lots of help. And I am IN LOVE with all your darling plates and table linens. So cute--makes my table look very shabby. And finally, I am so very injured that no mention of my assistance was made (and the scheduling idea? Originally mine. I can't really remember how I assisted you, but I do recall quite a few phone calls in my direction. Mostly, I think it was for pep-talks:). I understand, I'm no fancy chef, but hey, I do know a thing or two about Thanksgiving dinner! Really, though, nice work. I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving weekend.