Sunday, May 3, 2009

New Calling


Steve received a new calling last winter as the primary pianist. He really likes it and does a great job...or so I had heard. Then, just over a month ago I received a calling as the primary chorister! I truly was surprised. Steve literally fell off his chair laughing when he heard about the calling. I never in a million years expected this calling. In fact, the very week I received the calling I kept thinking to myself that I was so relieved to not have a calling in the Primary. That's what I get for thinking!
I am actually learning to love this calling. It's fun to work with Steve. He really is great at the piano...he can pick up at any point and just play perfectly. The hardest part is learning all the words to the songs. It's not like I can just fake it. I have about 80 eyes on me looking for the words and if I don't know them there is a blank silence. This calling is certainly stretching me in ways I never expected from a church calling. I not only have to memorize lots of words in the right order, but I have to "perform" every Sunday in front of all the ward children and their teachers. My voice has never been my strongsuit, so I'm learning to put my fears of singing aside and just sing as loud as I can. I'm not always on tune, but my volume is reaching new heights.
On a different note (haha!) I really am grateful to serve in the Primary. The children absolutely love to sing and the spirit that comes when they sing is fantastic. They have all been so patient with me. I also love learning all the songs again. There are a lot of new songs that have incredible messages and it's great to learn and teach these songs.

A cute story from last week's singing time: I had chosen to sing "Families Can Be Together Forever" as the opening song. Either no one was paying attention or they all forgot the words, but I was performing a duet. The other singer was Sarah. And she was singing her little heart out. I couldn't look at her or at Steve because I knew I'd bust out laughing. But Sarah sang the entire song at full volume. I am so glad I got to hear it in person!

4 comments:

Sara said...

oh that's awesome! i know you're awesome at that calling. and how fun to do it with steve as the pianist. too cute, i'm sure.

loved imagining you and sarah singing the opening duet. :)

The Wilkins' said...

That is so fun - you guys make a great team I'm sure! That will be a fun memory later on down the road! Miss you guys!

Rebecca S said...

We're so glad to have you - you do an awesome job!

Perry's said...

I haven't even asked how it's been going but it sounds like great. Sarah is such a sweet girl love that she sang along with you. I am sure you will have many more tender moments with all those kids. OH and I am loving all your pics - that new camera sure does nice work (or actually the photographer)!