Thursday, March 5, 2009

I should be doing lots of other things....

....but here I am blogging. While I was cleaning up the kitchen tonight, a question came to me: "why do I like the process so much?" I remember preparing for job interviews and creating a statement about how I enjoyed the process of having an idea, creating a plan, carrying it out, and seeing if it worked. It's funny to realize that my interview answer really is how I feel. I truly find joy in the process of things. I don't really know where my ideas come from, but I love it when something inspiring hits me. It seems like my mind won't stop until I've formulated all the tools and materials needed to make the idea work. I love to go out and buy or find what I need. I usually try to find the least expensive options. Then I put the whole thing together in my mind--this can be the longest part of the process, but also the most fun. Once I have my mind wrapped around the steps, I usually mull over them again and again just to make sure. Then I finally get to make the plunge and give it a try. This process literally keeps me up at night sometimes. It's not uncommon for me to go to bed after 2 a.m. because I've been sucked into the vortex of the latest process. I know it all sounds crazy, but it also gives me something to look forward to and to figure out. Sometimes I feel a little let down when I finish a project. Strange, I know. However, sometimes I get excited because I actually took some crazy idea and made it into something. And then I can easily duplicate it (i.e., a new style of bow, baby blankets made from old pajamas, spaghetti dinner). Usually my processes revolve around craft-type things...I want to expand my "process thinking" to motherhood, marriage, getting healthier, and my church calling. I think I can do it...and I hope I can get to sleep tonight!

No comments: