Saturday, July 31, 2010

You are good at doing hard things.

For a while I've been telling Sarah that she is good at doing hard things. I want her to know that life has challenges, but that she has the ability to face them and figure them out. She recently has started piano lessons and I find myself saying "you are good at doing hard things" a lot as she figures out where her fingers go and how to read the notes. I must be saying it a lot because the other day Sarah came to me with a book of paper dolls that had to be cut out. I had been avoiding the book for weeks because I knew it would take me hours to cut all the dolls, hats, dresses, etc. out. But then Sarah brought me a pair of scissors, rubbed my arm, looked in my eyes, and said, "Mama, you are good at doing hard things. I know you can cut these out." How could I say no to that?

No comments: