
Last Thursday Grant went through a 2 1/2 hour surgery. He had a thyroglossal duct cyst removed, adenoids removed, and ear tubes put in both ears. The adenoids and tubes aren't really a big deal, but the cyst was kind of serious. The thyroglossal duct is something that usually disappears during gestation, but Grant's didn't & it became a cyst. I first noticed it back in mid-December, right before we went to Utah for the holidays. One day it just popped out of his neck. It was the size of a giant marble and it looked like he'd grown and Adam's apple overnight. Steve knew right away what it was, so I went to the doctor the next day. Since then, we've seen four doctors about his cyst and hearing situation. We finally got an appointment with a pediatric ENT & he's the one who decided to not only take out the cyst, but also to put in ear tubes and remove his adenoids. We had Grant's hearing tested and it was quite a bit below what it should be. The ENT was pretty confident that once tubes were in place his hearing would improve.Grant was so sweet at the hospital. The first night he said,"I yuv you too," in the middle of the night & patted me on the arm. It was like he knew he needed to be comforted, so he did the things to me that he knows comfort him.
All Grant wanted to hear was the "BINGO" song ("there was a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name-o. B I N G O..."), and from 3:30-4:00 a.m. that's all he wanted....so that's what I sang and he was completely satisfied. He even forgot about the oximeter that was attached to his toe.
It was so fun to just spend time with Grant, doing the things that he loves to do. We watched lots of Cars, ate lots of pancakes (for four meals), played with cars on a race track, read books, colored, put on bandaids, did stickers, and had lots of cuddling time.
By the second afternoon Grant was up and moving around and eating pancakes and applesauce like crazy. His hearing seemed to improve almost instantly. He even responded to a whisper, which he hasn't ever done. I love this boy more than words can say and I am so glad/relieved to see him doing so much better. He just melts me.


No comments:
Post a Comment